Oddly enough, when asking my volleyball team for ideas about what to bake, the first request was ‘s’mores cookies’. Not being a lover of marshmallows and never having had a s’more cookie, I immediately dismissed the idea. On my way home from practice, in a taxi with a few girls from my team, I looked up recipes for s’mores cookies. Nothing interesting came up, but the pictures I saw looked sooooo good. I decided that I would make up a recipe on my own.
After a little research and deliberation, I decided that s’mores brownies would be a fresh twist on the cookie concept. I looked up a recipe for s’mores and came across a version that looked delicious. I loosely followed this recipe – adding and subtracting a bunch of ingredients. I brought these bars to Sunday practice, and my team LOVED them. My coach offered to buy me the ingredients if I would make them for him again. The dessert tastes like a campfire; smokey, chocolatey s’mores, but even tastier. These are my new go-to bar recipe. Enjoy!
1⁄2 cup butter, softened
3⁄4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1⁄3 cups flour
3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
16 oz milk chocolate chocolate chips (of 4 large hershey bars)
3 cups miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Beat butter and sugar together until well blended in a large bowl. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- In another bowl stir together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
- Press half the dough into the prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Spread the chocolate chips over the baked layer. Sprinkle with marshmallows. Scatter remaining dough over the marshmallows, forming a top layer.
- Bake 10- 15 minutes or until just lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting.