Although the start of the school year and the Fall is 100% my favorite time of the year, I was instantly sad when I realized that there was only one month left of summer vacation. This means no more beach volleyball, no more days of idle relaxation, and most of all no more lemony, fruity, or bright-tasting summer recipes :(.
Upon realizing how close the end of the Summer was (September 22), I realized that I wanted to take full advantage of this beautiful time of the year. I’m traveling to Scandinavia for two weeks with my family and cannot wait to spent my days hiking and exploring a part of the world that is so mysterious. We will be climbing inside viking ships, biking around Copenhagen, hiking the beautiful hills of Oslo, kayaking in Bergen etc. We leave in 2 days, and I am becoming INSANELY excited!!! Although it is cooler in Scandinavia than in New York, I know that these two weeks will be the most memorable and (luckily) long (only 7ish hours of darkness a day!) days of my life.
I decided that for the next 6 days, and the 2 weeks following our trip, that I am taking advantage of Summer in NYC. I plan on having picnics in Central Parks, sitting on my family’s secret rock that juts out over The Hudson River to watch the sunset, playing volleyball on local courts, visiting the MOMA, going on walks with friends etc. Most of all, I plan on cooking and baking the summery-ist (yes I make up my own words) recipes of the year. Starting off with the best cookies that I’ve ever made doesn’t seem like a bad place to start :)!!!
These summer cookies are the most unique and mouth watering cookies that have ever come out of my oven. You wouldn’t expect cream cheese, white chocolate, and strawberry to work so well, but, honestly, they couldn’t have gone better together. ENJOY!
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter-softened
4 oz cream cheese-softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 tablespoon flour
5 oz white chocolate-chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line pans with parchment paper.
- Pour fresh lemon juice over chopped strawberries, drain them after a few minutes.
- Whisk together 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Beat butter with sugar and cream cheese until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix until it’s well combined.
- Stir in chopped white chocolate.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1-2 tablespoon flour, toss them until all strawberries are coated with thin layer of flour and then stir them really gently in the batter.
- Drop heaping tablespoon of batter onto pan leaving an inch space between.
- Set the cookies in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes before baking.
- Sprinkle the cookies with sanding sugar if you want, but do not overdo it because they are sweet enough.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes( until the edges become golden brown).
- Let them cool a few minutes in the pan than transfer them to a wire racks to cool completely.