Honestly, this recipe came out of an effort to clean our cabinets at home. After shopping at Trader Joe’s, I realized that we already had 3 cartons of eggs and 4 cans of artichokes sitting in our kitchen. So this turned to 5 cartons of egg that 3 of which were about to expire and 5 cans of artichokes. Living in a tiny New York Kitchen, we can’t afford to have any more than a few of one thing at a time. So I went on google and searched “Artichoke and Egg Recipe” and found this!! I changed the cheese content (was way too cheesy), doubled the recipe make 2 frittatas and got to work! I very happy with the way that this frittata turned out. It was the perfect consistency and very filling! I would highly recommend refrigerating and then heating up for a quick dinner on the go. ENJOY!
1 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, quartered, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
6 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup monterey jack cheese
- Sauté the butter, oil and onion until soft on a large frying pan or skillet at medium heat.
- Mix in oregano, garlic and artichokes. Sauté 5-10 minute.
- Grease (or use non stick spray) a 1 1/2-2 quart round baking pan (or 8×8 baking dish). Coat sides and bottom with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Spoon artichoke mixture evenly over the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg together. Mix in jack cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over artichokes.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on top. Bake 5-8 more minutes.
- *You can double the recipe and use 9×13 baking dish.